“This course made me totally re-evaluate how I’ve been writing and communicating for the last 20 years.”
Chris Adlparvar, Director of Sales Operations and GM of Vancouver Office, Percieve Inc., NOV 2020
* Price will be billed in Canadian dollars.
International prices are for reference only based on recent exchange rates.
Writing Like a Pro workshops are guaranteed to run as soon as three people have registered.
Effective leaders know how to communicate.
Great leaders know how to inspire.
Writing Like a Pro is a live virtual workshop. As a participant you will analyze texts, write short assignments, and have your writing critiqued by the instructor in real-time. You will learn the principles of effective writing, and practice core writing skills that you can apply in all your future work. You will learn how to write with more authority and conviction.
Starting with the most basic building blocks of language, this workshop takes you through increasingly complex writing exercises. Writing Like a Pro gives you the methods, skills and know-how that will transform your writing.
You’ll learn how to use pacing and positionality to draw attention to your most cherished ideas. You’ll become conscious of how great writers use seemingly intuitive techniques to hold people’s attention. You’ll learn how to tell a story that will get your readers cheering for your proposal, and making the commitment to take action.
You’ll learn how to express your meaning, tell your story, and inspire action.
Power Up Your Writing
4-hour interactive workshop | 🇨🇦$749.50
- You want to upgrade your writing abilities and are willing to commit time outside of your work schedule
- You want to write more convincingly, and you need your readers to take action
- You need to pass on writing skills to others in a clear, organized way
- You are already an effective communicator, and you want to take your writing to the next level
- You want a set of tools, principles, and a systematic process to be able to write more effectively
- You have learned writing in a college or university setting, and now you need to make your writing sound more natural
- You want individualized feedback on your writing
- Live interactive workshop with Instructor
- Live writing exercises and real-time feedback
- Perpetual access to all learning materials and recording of the workshop
- Subjects, Verbs and Objects – how every sentence tells a story
- Writing with a purpose: using more active subjects, stronger verbs, and objects that show transformation
- Using imagery, pacing and positionality to hold your reader’s attention
- Using transformation and contrast to emphasize meaning
- Using the power of story to inspire action
- Techniques and methods to help you write and communicate more effectively
Writing Like a Pro
Introduction to Alexei Berteig
Review of Agenda
- “The Good News Is… The Bad News Is…”
- “A Good Article vs. A Great Article”
- The Sentence
- The Paragraph
- Emotional and Tonal Signifiers
- Introducing the Methodology
- Create Paragraphs on a Prepared Topic
- Workshop Participants’ Writing Samples
- What Makes a Story?
- Exploring and Expressing the Root of Motivation / Reason
- Expressing Difficulties in Heroic Terms
- Transformation, Meaning and Purpose
- Bringing to Life Concepts and Objects
- Where is the Love?
- Interview Method
- Do’s and Don’ts
Summarizing the Learning
Writing Like a Pro
Writing Like a Pro
I watched Alexei transform a muddled, jargon ridden business description into something clear, concise and convincing. Alexei taught me: - To write in a "specific way about my business topics" as to not confuse my readers with overly-general and vague jargon. - To use action verbs to animate dry work, into something that was fun to read. - A set of practical writing tactics to improve the clarity of what I was trying to say. I could almost write how I would describe something while speaking about it, but with a bit more rigour. - How to write to grab attention and while making my point. I recommend this course for anyone who gets paid for work done "from the neck up."
February 01, 2021Leadership Writing Workshop (RA-LG-LWW2) Newmarket, ON, Canada
13 Down Software Inc.
This course brought me back to writing and to find my love and joy in sharing with others the things that are important to me. This course made me re-evaluate the last 20 years of how I've been writing and communicating. I was a communications major and worked in marketing for 20 years. But I grew to really dislike using language used to manipulate people's emotions, which made me move away from writing. The course made me realize every sentence describes a transformation. It's not about convincing people but providing value to the reader. It's about giving the reader the information they need to make a decision. The concepts and ideas and flow of exercises, and actually having to do the work was material to the impact.
February 01, 2021Leadership Writing Workshop (RA-LG-LWW2) Newmarket, ON, Canada
Director of Sales Operations and GM of Vancouver Office
The Leadership Writing Workshop helped me get the tools I needed to elevate my writing. The steady progression made learning engaging and easily appliable. Alexi broke down the simple way to make my writing more effective and get the emphasis on where it should be. This was a great workshop.
November 25, 2020Leadership Writing Workshop (RA-LG-LWW2) Newmarket, ON, Canada
Technical Project Manager
The Leadership Writing Workshop provides a great opportunity for attendees to learn and practice the craft of effective written communication. The combination of practical tools and techniques embedded in a hands-on environment where appropriate actionable feedback is provided in real-time made it a tremendous learning experience. I would definitely recommend this for anyone that wants to get better at writing, and I look forward to applying my new skills immediately.
November 24, 2020Leadership Writing Workshop (RA-LG-LWW2) Vaughan, ON, Canada
The Leadership Writing Workshop exceeded my expectations. The instructor gave us the tasks for the wide variety of real-life situations. Thank you for making my writing persuasive, concise and up to the point!
November 23, 2020Leadership Writing Workshop (RA-LG-LWW2) London, ON, Canada
Virtual is NOT boring!
Transform Your Business From Anywhere
Live virtual training is delivered based on the Canadian Eastern time zone (ET) from 01:00 PM to 05:00 PM. People in different time zones can attend this training on following times.
10:00 AM - 02:00 PM
Vancouver, British Colombia
San Francisco, California
Los Angeles, California
Las Vegas, Nevada
11:00 AM - 03:00 PM
San Jose, Costa Rica
Mexico City, Mexico
12:00 PM - 04:00 PM
01:00 PM - 05:00 PM
New York, USA
02:00 PM - 06:00 PM
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sao Paulo, Brazil
05:00 PM - 09:00 PM
06:00 PM - 10:00 PM
We Are Growing Organically
Did you know that about 90% of our business growth is the result of word of mouth recommendations?
Yes, it is true. People who attend our training can't help recommending us to their colleagues and friends, and they also can't wait to attend advanced training with us. This is what people say about us:
I enjoyed being there (at the training). You guys are the gold star standard for Agile. Thanks for the training over the years.
Oscar Savoini, Project Manager, Honda Canada, August 31, 2020
The training was great. Very informative and interactive. The BERTEIG team has mastered that art of online learning, you will not be bored. Definitely recommend.
Antoinette Boachie, Consultant, Agile Sales & Marketing, CIBC, October 07, 2020
See how people feel after attending our training, read some of the 3000+ recent reviews, and attend our training with no reservations.
You're in Good Company
Exclusive To BERTEIG Professionals!
Power Up Your Writing Skills For Free!
If you are a member of the BERTEIG Professionals, you may attend this workshop at no charge. Select an event date and register using this form for free .
BERTEIG Professionals are highly-trained experts in agility including Kanban and Scrum. When you participate in two or more BERTEIG Learning Events, you automatically become a BERTEIG Professional. If you have already participated in two or more BERTEIG events, you may opt-in to become BERTEIG Professionals.
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, PayPal and Purchase Orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact email@example.com with the order number you wish to have refunded.
Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact email@example.com with your name, current course date and requested new course date.
Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes, you are welcome to change the registration information for a spot in a Learning Event at any time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No, you have registered for a premium learning event with BERTEG, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes, everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends.
Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 3 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for the BERTEIG Loyalty Program. The more people that attend our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of these offers.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: In most cases, yes you can. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your company details.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) online training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the 'training part' of the certification. There is no extra fee for the CSM online test, it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is straightforward! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA) from Scaled Agile®?
- A: Scaled Agile® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA® designation is available only by attending BERTEIG’s virtual designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
We do not offer SAFe® training as a public enrolment course as it is highly contextual curriculum.
- Q: Where can I find more information about SAFe® training and certification?
- A: The best source of information is always directly from Scaled Agile at http://www.scaledagile.com. BERTEIG also maintains our own SAFe® FAQ page at https://berteig.com/faq-safe.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile® Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending a virtual designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI® Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute® (PMI) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP® designation is available either by attending a designated virtual PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated virtual TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design® (KMP I) class AND the Kanban System Improvement® (KMP II) class. The training component of the KMP® designation is available either by attending BERTEIG virtual public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q:How do I become a Scrum Inc. Scrum Master Product Owner® (SSMPO)?
- A: Scrum Inc® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://agileeducation.org. The training component of the SSMPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated in-house private Learning Event.
- Q:How can I claim my CSM® or CSPO® or SSMPO® class for PDUs from PMI®?
- A: Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and enter the details of your learning experience to claim the hours. Be sure to enter all the details of the class you took (CSM or CSPO or SSMPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs (16 for 2-day and 24 for 3-day).
- Q: How can I claim other BERTEIG event PDUs from PMI®?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content e.g. BERTEIG MicroLearning™ you may claim the PDUs as private learning hours on the PMI-CCRS website.
- If asked, you may need to show evidence of registration or attendance for the class. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility and for more information, please refer to the PMI-CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our virtual Learning Events are highly interactive and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an online environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our virtual Learning Events in the past to only achieve a valuable certification. They have told us in no uncertain terms that it was still the best "course" they have ever attended, they learned far more than they expected to, and that they were excited to apply what they learned as soon as possible. Sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to do to prepare for the online course?
- A:There are three things you must do beforehand to prepare for BERTEIG online Learning Events.
1. Complete pre-work at training.berteig.com
2. Set up Zoom for video conferencing
3. Get familiar with Miro whiteboard collaboration
- For most Learning Events, there is some pre-work which must be completed before the class begins. Failure to do so, will mean rescheduling and application of the $150 Rescheduling Fee.
- Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do I need a laptop or can I use my phone?
- A: You will need a laptop or desktop for the BERTEIG Learning events. Handheld devices such as tablets and phones are not suitable for the interactive nature of the classes.
- Q: Do you provide copies of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't use slides in our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts and these are accessed in one place using the BERTEIG Learning Management System (LMS).
- The only exception to this is the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides to go through in the training.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 9:00am sharp and end by 4:30pm (Eastern Time +5:00 GMT). Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends. Be mindful that some courses have a substantial Theory portion that needs to be completed prior to the Classroom start.
- Q: Do you offer your virtual Learning Events as private sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact email@example.com for more information and to receive a quote. Typically 'in-house' virtual sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent!
We can also create custom online Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff.
Generally, we avoid doing the CSM, CSPO and SSMPO Learning Events as private virtual classes, and we encourage you to attend with your group to a public scheduled session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the virtual class?
- A: It depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this.
For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: What does it mean when a session is "Guaranteed To Run"?
- A: Most BERTEIG Learning Events are given this designation, which means that if it's scheduled, we will run the class, even with just a few people registered. We do this to respect the time you have allotted to learning. Occasionally something may prevent us from running the class e.g. a health emergency, however we will do everything we can under normal circumstances to run scheduled classes; we take this seriously and it is our commitment to you.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of BERTEIG Learning Event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach a different audience than the companies we normally serve. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact email@example.com.